TrippingOnWords wins *Blogspot's Blog of Note* and *Bestest Blog of the Day*
Sunday, July 30, 2006
Thing 16: Beggars can't be Choosers
Ha.

Ha. Ha.

I took over a bunch of people's things when I left my CFHI program today. Not only because I am constantly mooching off people, but because I am trying to forward my HateToHelp motives. Among the possessions I inherited were some Princess Jasmine and Aladdin stickers (which I was assured people would like because Princess Jasmine looks like she could be Indian...though she is Arab), some bouncy balls, a magnetic toy kit, and a portable fan.

When approached in my rickshaw today by some small pathetic-looking children, I embraced my chance to give things away. I offered a bouncy ball. They took it, fondled it, and handed it back. I felt rebuffed. They looked at me like I was crazy. I felt awkward and kind of uncool.

The stickers went over better, however. They started sticking them on their arms, then got creative and stuck Princess Jasmine on as a bindi. This I found particularly absurd. But they seemed happy. I drove away feeling fully recovered from my embarassment, and finally considered somewhat "cool" by the beggar children.
 
posted by Claire and Lara at 7:01 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: