TrippingOnWords wins *Blogspot's Blog of Note* and *Bestest Blog of the Day*
Monday, December 11, 2006
Send Positive Energy to Muna the Kitty
A reader sent us this note abotu her poor kitty who was recently diagnosed with feline Leukemia. Please think of both kitty and Allie, as she struggles to to pay for the treatments that Muna needs...


Dear Claire and Lara,
I've been in contact with you before through comments at Tripping On Words.

I am hoping that you will get out the word that my darling 8-month-old kitten, Muna (pronounced MOO-nah), is in desperate need of prayers and positive energy. She was diagnosed at 10 weeks with Feline Leukemia. She was doing fairly well until about two weeks before Thanksgiving; I noticed Muna trying to cough up a hairball but swallowing it before expulsion. In the week before Thanksgiving, she developed an unpleasant odor. The week of Thanksgiving, the quality of her coat went from smooth and soft to very oily. I knew something was wrong. I took her to the vet November 30th because of labored breathing. The vet did a second confirmation of FeLV, meaning there is no possible way it will ever be eradicated from Muna's system. However, the vet simply diagnosed Muna as having a hairball and set me home with some Cat-Lax to help it pass through her system. This past Saturday she stopped eating. Sunday she stopped drinking water voluntarily. I called the vet Monday morning to make the earliest possible appointment, Tuesday afternoon at 3PM. Monday night Muna was yowling when touched, in addition to stumbling and staggering when she walked. I woefully mourned my kitty that night, and requested my boyfriend drive me to the vet the next day in the event Muna might euthanized.

She wasn't. Another older and more concerned vet gave the following diagnosis after blood tests: High white blood cell count. Low red blood cell count. Anemia. Low protein levels. = NOT GOOD.

However, the vet prescribed the liquid antibiotic Clavamox for 1ML administration every twelve hours, with the addition of Nutri-Cal multivitamin gel for more iron and protein in her non-existent diet. He hoped that the antibiotic would spur Muna's appetite.

Two days later, I can tell you that the antibiotics have done very little. Muna's spine and hip bones are easily silhouetted through her skin. She will eat no more than a half-teaspoon of wet food twice daily. I cry each time she walks up to her food dishing and incessantly meows, as though pleading, "I'm so hungry! Momma, why can't I eat?" Half of the time, she is so fragile that she won't allow me to touch her. I fear she is truly dying--two years earlier than for what I originally prepared myself.

This ordeal is more difficult since I make a meager $350 a month; $150 has already gone towards vet costs. Monday morning, more money will be emptied from my pocket as I pay for another blood test ($50), plus however much for the antibiotics the vet chooses to try next.

I know my kitten's seemingly slow death is as important globally as saving Lance & Mark, but it's a huge deal on my home front. Please send prayers, positive energy, and love our way.

 
posted by Claire and Lara at 2:21 AM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger mellow

    I send you all the positive energy possible. Muna is obviously an angel. My prayers are with her and with you. I will light a candle in her name.
    I too have an 8 month old kitten (and a 5 1/2 year old cat). We adopted the kitten (who has health concerns of his own) after the death of our beautiful cat, Gita, who was lost to a horrible autoimmune disease. She was so brave--even when she went blind and could no longer walk straight. No matter how I tried, I was not prepared for this. I am still in a state of disbelief and sadness. Yet I am glad I was lucky enough to have had her in my life, though it was brief. There is something truly extraordinary about cats that are extremely ill. They only give love. That is something that will never leave you.

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Unknown


    Dear adventure traveler!!
    Wel come to Mountain Mart Treks & Expedition (P) Ltd. for best trekking & Tour operator into the mysterious culture tours & adventures trip including Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan & India.
    Please if you are looking a adventure trip in Nepal! Kindly visit our official website http://www.mountainmarttreks.com for reliable information whatever you need. Or email me at gpminathapa@gmail.com

    trekking in Nepal
    langtang trek
    Annapurna trek
    Evererest Trek
    peak climbing in Nepal
    jungle safari in Nepal
    sight seeing
    cultural tour
    mountain flight
    adventure trekking

    Thank you so much for your desire to travel in Nepal with professional trekking and tour operator in Nepal!!