TrippingOnWords wins *Blogspot's Blog of Note* and *Bestest Blog of the Day*
Friday, September 15, 2006
Sweatbands and Vietnam
Perhaps it is the influx of new clothes from the fabulous tailors in Hoi An (I own a suit now! My first one! I'm an adult!) but I've been feeling very zen here.

And I somehow found the strength to get rid of my ex-boyfriends armband thingys that most people use to work out in, but which are one of my favorite accessories (especially on this trip of constant practicality). These armbands are wonderful, because when you wear them you feel capable. He used them because he was a bartender and they were handy when there was lots of wet things around. I used them because I am a tall but non-intimidating person who occasionally likes to look tough.

I have lent them out on numerous occasions, and they gave strength to friends going through break ups, shopping withdrawal and bad PMS. Claire has refused them numerous times on this trip. This is me wearing one to haul my butt up Everest.



He and I bought an obscene number of these. I owned at least 6. I brought two on the trip, and now only have one because I am a pillar of strength.

I handed it out tonight to a little girl trying to get me to go in a boat. It was the festival of lanterns (or something like that) in Hoi An, Vietnam, and so all the lights were out and there were just lanterns everywhere. Lovely. Very romantic. So Claire went home early because she is tired, and I wandered around on my own getting laughed at.

What better time to get rid of a little negative energy than when you're surrounded by lots of pretty things and happy people? No worries, it was clean, and the girl looked delighted. It does feel good. And besides, those types of things really don't go with my new suit.
 
posted by Claire and Lara at 9:02 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: